The Department of Communication Studies invites current students and alumni of the School of Communication and Film to participate in our logotype design competition. A logotype is a text-only typographic design without any added graphics. We are looking for a logotype that delivers a modern and professional image and showcases a forward looking spirit of the Department. The winning logotype will be used December of 2021 on the website, letterhead, office space, and any promotion materials of the Department.
Awards and Prizes
Winner (one entry): Cash prize of HK$5,000
Runners-up (three to five entries): Cash prize of HK$1,000 for each entry
The competition will accept submissions from October 15, 2021 to December 3, 2021 (both days inclusive, Hong Kong time). Late submissions will not be accepted. A selection panel of faculty and staff members as well as alumni of the Department will evaluate the submissions. The winner and runners-up will be announced in late November or early December of 2021 via the Department’s websites and Facebook page. The winner and runners-up will be notified by email individually as well.
- The design should convey a modern and professional image of the Department and should not clash with the University and the School logo. The current logos of the University, the School, and the Department can be accessed here (https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1prCSp4RdCgQi-mdP4HSXfYcxvZea4xs8?usp=sharing).
- The composition elements of the logotype must only include the texts “Department of Communication Studies” and “傳播系”, without any added graphics. For one entry, three versions of the logotype should be provided :(1) an English-only version: Department of Communication Studies; (2) a Chinese-only version: 傳播系; and (3) a bilingual version: Department of Communication Studies 傳播系 (For this version, the entry should clearly show how the positions of the English and the Chinese words are arranged.).
- Each design should be in a maximum of three colors. In addition, both color and black/white versions must be included.
- Each participant may submit one entry.
Submission formats and method
All entries must be designed using a computer graphic software and exported to and submitted in a JPEGformat. An entry should not exceed 1280 x 1024 pixels. The Department may request editable digital files at a later stage. The winning logotype and runners-up will be required to provide the editable digital files after results are announced.
Please email your entry to email@example.com. Begin the subject line with “Logotype” and your full name (e.g., Logotype Chan Tai Man). Include the information listed below:
- Name of participant (as stated on the identification document);
- Phone number;
- Indicate if you are a current student (year and major) or a graduate (year of graduation and major);
- A JPEG file(s) of the logotype (the attachment(s) should not exceed 20MB in total).
Intellectual Property Rights
All the participants agree to assign the intellectual property rights of the winning design the Department of Communication Studies, HKBU. All the entries must be original and free from infringement of any existing intellectual property rights. The participants shall bear full legal and related responsibilities arising from any possible breach of intellectual property rights in respect of their entries. The Department reserves the right to modify the winning logotype and/or develop different versions of the logotype with relation to its colors, size, form, resolution and all other features, with or without the consent of the creator of the winning entry.
For inquiries, please contact Ms. Venice Cheng (firstname.lastname@example.org).